Friday, May 27, 2016

Chit Chat Tech with Kariette E.3 - Mobile Device Backups - Photos and Videos


"Oh Shit! My phone just fell in the toilet and it automatically flushed"



I'm sure you've had a similar moment where your phone was damaged beyond repair. This Episode covers backing up your Photos and Videos and a bonus on how to effectively store your contacts so you don't lose them.
Most mobile phones come equipped with back up services. If you own an iPhone it has iCloud (Cloud Service) ready and available to use.

Why Backup your Mobile Device?


You may be wondering why on earth would you need to back up your mobile device. Well, if you are the person who takes a lot of photos, videos, or even just have a contact list you depend on, You will need to back that information up.

How to Back up your Mobile Device?


This can be done in many ways depending on the phone you have. Certain operating systems have certain back up options and certain mobile brands also have their own built-in back up system usually found within settings. And even your service provider has back up apps and solutions. I am going to provide you with the ways I back up my Samsung Galaxy S6 (Android OS) and Apple iPad (IOS).

Android OS

My photos are backed up in 3 different ways using apps available in the Google Play Store; Google PhotosMicrosoft OneDrive and Dropbox. Within each app there are settings to back up your photos. 
  • Google Photos - Go to Settings - Back up - Sync - Turn it on and Configure it how you wish.
  • Microsoft One Drive -  Go to Settings - Photos and Turn on Camera Upload
  • Drop Box - Go to Settings - Camera Upload  Select "Turn on Camera upload" and Configure. 

Apple IOS

On my IOS device photos are backed up just like my Android device with an addition of using iCloud. Google PhotosMicrosoft One Drive and Dropbox can also be downloaded from the Apple App Store and the set up and configuration is the same.

Setting up iCloud to Back up Photos; Go to Settings - iCloud - Photos then configure.


Bonus
Contacts - The key to not losing your contacts is to not store them on your phone. Store your contacts using your an email account. My contacts are stored using my email accounts so therefore if I get a new phone I can just add that email account to my new phone and Voila - there are all my contacts. Also if your phone is not nearby and you have access to the internet - You can simply sign in to your email account; and navigate to your contacts. 


So don't lose your data - Be sure to configure your backups to backup automatically, Do not "set it and forget it" always check to make sure your backups are working.

No comments :

Post a Comment