Wednesday, August 27, 2014

PW Opinion 2: Blue Ivy's Hair


"When black people find it necessary to complain about Blue Ivy's hair that's that years of oppression kicking in. If her hair was straight or had a different/looser curl pattern instead of being that coarse and kinky, no one would say anything. Not everyone wants to put their child in braids to hide the texture and conform to the white man. Clearly her hair gets combed and conditioned but black hair will do what it does and get nappy. So have several seats and let the child rock her Afro."

That was just an early rant from this morning on my personal Facebook page. Her hair has been a topic, with petitions being created and so forth and frankly I don't know why this child's hair is even a topic. 

Why is it necessary for her hair to be braided or in corn rows? Show me how her hair not being braided or in corn rows being linked to some medical illness and I'll have a seat (with my oppressed a** too since I am currently wearing a weave). Then you'll have a point or some factual reason for saying her parents are neglecting her. 

This hair debacle also falls right within the Willie Lynch Syndrome - I was going to get into it but here is an article that does that job! Students show how Willie Lynch Syndrome still prevalent

If you torment your child to braid or style her hair that's your business. 
I won't even get into how dangerous some those plastic barrettes, hair ties, bubbles, etc. you put in a little girls hair can be. See Article and I'll just leave this video right here.


No comments :

Post a Comment